The Maine Anti-Tuberculosis Association (original name of the Lung Association) was incorporated in 1911 in Maine as the first voluntary health agency. It brought together volunteer medical care professionals and lay people to combat tuberculosis, the leading cause of death at the time. After the pandemic, it became clear there were other important public health threats. The Association changed its name and broadened its mission, and became Maine Public Health Association in 1920. It remained as MPHA until the 1950s when it returned to a focus on tuberculosis: now there was finally treatment available, but a statewide need for education and screening. As such, it was renamed again as the Maine Tuberculosis and Health Association. The current version of MPHA was established in 1984, with Association founders unaware of this history at the time.