Disease Intervention Specialist (DIS)
MCD Global Health
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2023
Salary: $55,993.6 – $55,993.6 per year
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Augusta, Maine/Hybrid
MCD Global Health is a nonprofit global health organization recognized in the United States and around the world as a leader, innovator, and trusted partner.
Our Vision & Mission:
We envision a world in which all people have access to high quality and enduring solutions to improve and maintain their health and well-being. MCD aspires to be a premier partner of choice and an internationally recognized leader, innovator, and trusted partner in applied, cross-national public health solutions. Our mission is to improve the health and well-being of people worldwide through enduring, high-quality, cost-effective, and universally accessible public health solutions.
The Disease Intervention Specialists (DIS) are responsible for organizing, coordinating, and delivering a variety of public health services in the area of HIV/STD prevention and control. Provide disease intervention services including (1) HIV and STD prevention counseling and HIV testing in regions; (2) HIV/STD case investigations and contact tracing; and (3) provider detailing and ensuring proper treatment guidelines are met throughout the state. Work is performed under administrative direction.
Essential Job Functions:
- Collect a variety of information related to HIV/STD cases through interviews, record review and other methods.
- Provide HIV antibody counseling, testing and referral services.
- Provide counseling and referral services to partners of positive cases.
- Maintain records and case findings and prepares reports.
- Provide direct HIV/STD disease intervention services, including case investigations, interviewing positive cases, notifying possible contacts, following up with health care providers on diagnosis and treatment, and with laboratories on reporting test results. Conduct STD and HIV disease investigations and interviews, and/or HIV linkage/reengagement to care services.
- Address all technical and general consults related to STDs from providers, community members, and partner organizations.
- Perform education and outreach activities and serve as the point of contact for DIS prevention activities for local and federal agencies, medical providers, and members of the public.
- Assist in the coordination of HIV/STD outbreak and emergency response.
- Coordinate and participate in consumer planning groups related to HIV, STD, and viral hepatitis prevention.
- Collaborate with state-funded organizations, staff, and clinicians to improve HIV/STD morbidity in the state.
- Participate in and contribute to overall Infectious Disease Program planning and evaluation activities.
- Review and evaluate integrated HIV, STD, viral hepatitis, and harm reduction data and interventions.
- Attend relevant meetings, work sessions, and conferences.
- Contribute to Infectious Disease Surveillance evaluation, performance improvement, outbreak preparedness, and response planning including but not limited to COVID 19
- Assist in additional duties as reasonably assigned.
This position will be a hybrid position with at least two days physically onsite in the Augusta CDC office and will follow the State of Maine Tele-Work policy.
While this position is embedded at the Maine CDC, you will be a member of MCD Global Health. We are a public health non-profit organization recognized in the United States and internationally as a leader, innovator, and trusted partner in the design, implementation, and assessment of high quality, enduring programs in public health.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, Community Health Education, Public Administration, Education, or one of the Behavioral Sciences, and two (2) years’ experience in community or health education program planning, development, implementation, and evaluation. Directly related work experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis.
Preferred candidates will also have:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of the epidemiological, clinical, laboratory, diagnostic, treatment, and prevention aspects of HIV, STDs, viral hepatitis, and harm reduction
- Ability to gather, synthesize, and summarize a variety of information for local and federal partners.
- Experience with data collection and analysis
- Knowledge of and experience with federal, local, and state policies
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of internal and external partners and populations.
- Computer skills, including knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
And the ability to:
- Communicate complex health information and policies to many audiences.
- Analyze data and high attention to detail.
- Organize, disseminate, and report public health information.
- Communicate with local and community partners.
- Work independently, including being a “self-starter.”
- Facilitate groups.
- Speak publicly.
- Possess an attitude that fosters a respectful, non-threatening workplace environment.
Medical Care Development, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
MCD strongly encourages COVID-19 vaccinations for employees, contractors, and other representatives.
Apply with Indeed
Augusta, Maine, United States
MCD Global Health is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation. If you are unable to access our career website or need other accommodation, please contact Human Resources.
MCD has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with its aims and objectives, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination. MCD also adheres to strict child-safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks.