The novel coronavirus is a new coronavirus, first identified in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China in 2019. The virus causing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is different from other coronaviruses that cause mild illnesses, like the common cold. Symptoms and Spread of COVID-19: For the most current information about known symptoms and how the virus spreads, review information on the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.
How Can I Help Prevent It From Spreading?
- Get vaccinated. If you’re already vaccinated, encourage your family, friends and neighbors to get vaccinated.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol. Always wash your hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
- Cough and sneeze into your sleeve, not your hands, or use a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Stay home when sick.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects (like your cell phone) and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- If you're not feeling well, or if you're in a large crowd, wear a mask. Learn more about effective masking at the CDC's website.
MPHA continues to offer trainings, webinars, and other resources with our partners.
What Should I Do If I Have Questions?
Here is Maine CDC’s Coronavirus website, and here is the 24/7 Disease Reporting Contact Information:
- Phone: 1-800-821-5821 (24 hours a day)
- FAX: 1-800-293-7534 (24 hours a day)
- TTY: Maine relay 711 (24 hours a day)
You can also contact 211 Maine for answers to frequently asked questions on COVID-19: