Nutrition Counselor/Breastfeeding Peer Counselor
Midcoast Maine Community Action
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2023
Salary: $19 - $23 per hours
This position is part of the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) nutrition program. Working out of our Bath office, the person in this position is responsible for overseeing the Breastfeeding Peer counselor, providing nutrition counseling and follow up support to breastfeeding mothers and developing goals for promotion of breastfeeding. Additionally, this person will also provide ongoing training, maintain CEU records, conduct annual inventory of clinic equipment and supplies, and prepare reports.
Other responsibilities will include:
- Determine eligibility and nutritional risk priority of WIC applicants.
- Conduct assessments of diet and of client educational needs.
- Provide counseling/education on food sources of nutrients, proper nutrition, and good health, with special emphasis on the nutritional needs of pregnant, post-partum, and breast-feeding women and infants and children less than five years of age.
- Perform anthropometric and hematological measurements on women, infants, and children as needed.
- Provide education and referral on immunizations, prenatal care, smoking, drug and alcohol cessation and health checkups.
- Perform administrative tasks such as participant orientation, chart documentation, computer data entry, maintaining CEU records, and administering annual Participant Survey.
- Bachelor’s degree in nutrition or health related field or Registered Dietetic Technician.
- At least 2 years of experience in a related position.
- Must have at least 7 hours of continuing education on lactation within the past 2 years.
- Must have at least 1 year of experience providing breast-feeding counseling to new mothers and nutrition counseling to parents and children 0-5 years of age.
- Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC) required or course completed with 12 months of hire. IBCLC preferred.
- Proficiency with computers and related software, including word-processing, spreadsheet applications, database and computer peripherals.
- Position requires regular travel to outreach clinic sites within a 45 mile radius. Therefore must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license, adequate automobile insurance per state standards, and access to reliable transportation; compliance with MMCA policies pertaining to safe vehicle operation required.
- Prior to starting employment, must be able to pass fingerprinted criminal background, child protective services, sex offender registry, and motor vehicle record checks, as required by state and federal childcare licensing regulations, that indicate no previous record of involvement with child abuse or exploitation and no disqualifying criminal or motor vehicle record that would preclude working with children.
- Must be able to lift up to twenty pounds and set up clinics at outreach sites.
To apply please forward cover letter, resume with complete work history and contact information for 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.