PLANNING & OUTREACH ASSOCIATE
The Greater Portland Council of Governments (GPCOG) seeks a full-time Planning & Outreach Associate to join our innovative team. This staff person will support transportation and mobility planning, as well as land use and economic development, for local governments and regional partners throughout Southern Maine.
As Maine’s economic center, Greater Portland is an exciting region in which to work and live – and Portland is a world-class small city as shown in many “top ten” lists during the past ten years.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Assisting with or lead the coordination, planning, and execution of public engagement events for a variety of audiences – including conducting outreach in support of transportation and mobility projects.
- Planning, coordinating, and facilitating meetings.
- Recruiting and maintaining relationships with external stakeholders – including but not limited to older adults, people with disabilities, people with limited English proficiency, people of color, and youth.
- Researching, collecting, compiling, and performing basic analysis of data.
- Interacting with stakeholders from healthcare, human services, transportation, housing, federal and state agencies, and the public.
GPCOG is looking for a candidate with the following skills and qualifications:
- At least 2 years relevant professional experience required
- Experience in facilitating meetings and group process – including moving groups to decisions.
- Ability to build solid working relationships with people from a range of diverse backgrounds and sectors.
- Experience with cross-cultural communication.
- Creativity and innovative thinking.
- Serving the Greater Portland and Lakes Region Communities
- Ability to communicate professionally and interact positively in a wide range of circumstances, dealing with the general public, elected and appointed government officials at all levels, other professional staff, vendors, and other stakeholders.
- Strong writing skills – including document creation, editing, and proofreading.
- Proficient in the use of spreadsheets, particularly Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively as a member of team.
- Ability to organize work effectively and meet deadlines.
- Availability to attend occasional evening meetings as needed
- Possess a valid driver’s license
Desirable but not required:
- Master’s degree in planning or other related discipline from an accredited college or university.
- Four (4) or more years of planning or project management experience that includes an internship or other practical experience in community planning or a related field.
- Proficiency in a language other than English.
- Grant writing and grants management experience
GPCOG offers a comprehensive benefits package, competitive salary, a great work/life balance, and a fun and creative working environment. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to representing the region’s diversity in our staff and creating a positive, inclusive workplace where all can thrive. People of color, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Come join our team!
We will begin reviewing applications for this position on June 13, 2019 and continue accepting applications until the position is filled. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and minimum salary requirements (no phone calls please) to: Ms. Kaylei Coombs at email@example.com . Email subject line: Application for Planning & Outreach Associate.