Tobacco Enforcement Coordinator/Research Assistant – Anticipated Vacancy
Opening Date: May 24, 2019
Closing Date: June 7, 2019
Job Class Code: 0677
Salary: $45,094.40 – $61,235.20*
*Pursuant to 5 MRS § 196 the salary for this position has been set by the Office of the Attorney General
Position Number: 006000446
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Office of the Attorney General is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Research Assistant/Tobacco Enforcement Coordinator in its Augusta Office. This is a full-time (8 a.m. – 5 p.m.) position. The Tobacco Enforcement Coordinator is responsible for investigating and documenting violations of Maine’s Smoking Acts including statutes that govern public smoking, retail tobacco sales, and workplace smoking. This position manages Maine’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA) retail tobacco compliance check inspection contract deliverables and oversees Maine’s Synar retail check inspection program to ensure that retailers do not sell tobacco products to minors. This position will supervise the Tobacco Compliance Assistant position.
- Receive allegations of Maine’s Smoking Act violations, conduct research, draft and serve documents with the assistance of an Assistant Attorney General to ensure compliance.
- Conduct public speaking of Maine’s smoking laws and rules (public, retail, schools, state parks and historic sites, and workplace) to public health counterparts and community stake holders to ensure compliance.
- Manage retail tobacco sales license applications, receive weekly retail tobacco license list, and newly licensed applications. Upload retail tobacco sales license list to FileMaker. Communicate directly with licensed tobacco retailers to ensure compliance with Maine’s Retail Tobacco Sales Act.
- Apply, draft and execute Request for Proposals for FDA and Synar retail tobacco compliance check inspection contracts.
- Negotiate, draft and administer subcontracts for FDA and Synar retail tobacco compliance check inspection programs.
- Draft, revise and follow procedures and protocols for conducting FDA and Synar retail tobacco compliance check inspection programs.
- Train and oversee FDA and Synar retail tobacco compliance inspection personnel (Inspectors, Chaperones and Minors).
- Select and assign retail checks at youth accessible licensed tobacco retailers statewide.
- Receive and file tobacco evidence obtained during FDA retail tobacco compliance checks. Assist FDA Center for Tobacco Products in enforcement and compliance of FDA retail tobacco compliance checks violations.
- Receive Notice of Civil Administrative Actions and tobacco evidence obtained during Synar retail tobacco compliance checks. File evidence and paperwork. Process reports of violations, negotiate settlements and draft pleadings for review by an Assistant Attorney General. Work with the Capital Judicial Center to file notices, schedule court hearings and confirm payment of filed consent orders.
- Draft and submit financial invoicing and monthly reports for FDA retail tobacco compliance checks according to FDA contract deliverables.
- Draft and review Annual Synar Reports for Synar retail tobacco compliance checks in collaboration with Maine DHHS Tobacco Substance Use Prevention Program.
- Promote NO BUTS! (Blocking Underage Tobacco Sales), a free responsible tobacco retailer training.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of Maine’s smoking statutes
- Knowledge and experience of public health principles, theories, and practices
- Ability to work independently and supervise Tobacco Compliance Assistant and subcontracted inspection personnel (Inspectors, Chaperones and Minors)
- Ability to negotiate, draft and administer grant applications and Request for Proposals (RFPs).
- Ability to draft and administer fiscal reports for contracts and subcontracts
- Ability to develop and implement training programs for retail tobacco compliance inspection staff (Inspectors, Chaperones and Minors) and licensed tobacco retailers
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively through multiple communication avenues, written and verbal
- Database management experience
- Ability to meet confidentiality requirements
- Experience and advanced skills in Microsoft Office Excel, Outlook, Publisher, Word and Adobe PDF
Associates degree in Community Health Education, Health Sciences, or Finance and Accounting. Experience in health promotion and disease prevention, accounting, grant making, government contracting or regulatory compliance is preferred.
This position will consult with FDA and serve as a liaison between FDA and contracted program staff to meet the contract deliverables. Once hired, the successful candidate is required to apply for and receive commissioning status by the FDA. This process will start after hire date, with the assistance of the current Tobacco Compliance Assistant, and must be successfully finalized before employee passes probation. The commissioning process includes, but is not limited to, a level-5 public trust background investigation (finger printing and background investigation paperwork). Receiving commissioning status signifies that an employee has accepted a position of public trust and will comply with all applicable federal laws and ethical standards. FMI: https://fedcas.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Federal-Suitability-Security-Clearance-Chart.pdf
If you are interested in applying for this position, prepare a cover letter highlighting your experience and qualifications that make you a strong candidate for the position and the knowledge, skills and abilities required.
Include resume, three references (to include one work-related reference) and complete online direct hire application by going to the State of Maine’s Job Openings website by clicking here: https://mainebhr.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0j56f/
The Department is not responsible for late receipt of applications due to mail service, faxing malfunctions or electronic transmission malfunctions.
Job offer to new hire is conditional upon verification of credentials, criminal records, and driver’s license check, and professional license requirements if applicable.
Please direct all questions to the Consumer Protection Division Chief, Assistant Attorney General Linda Conti at 207-626-8800 or Linda.Conti@maine.gov
The value of State’s share of Employee’s Retirement: 15.37% of salary for bargaining unit positions and 20.17% for confidential positions.
Value of State-paid Dental Insurance: $13.13 biweekly
Value of State-paid Health Insurance*:
Level 1: 100% State Contribution = $444.68 biweekly (employee pays nothing)
Level 2: 95% State Contribution = $422.45 biweekly (Employee pays: 5%)
Level 3: 90% State Contribution = $400.211 biweekly (Employee pays: 10%)
Level 4: 85% State Contribution = $377.98 biweekly (Employee pays: 15%)
*The level of actual value of state paid Health Insurance will be based on employee’s wage rate and status with regard to the health credit premium program as of July 1, 2018.
The State of Maine Government and Office of the Attorney General is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply. We provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Why Work for the State of Maine?
State of Maine employees have a wide variety of health benefits and wellness programs available to them. Whatever your health and wellness goals may be, we have solutions to help you meet your goal. Preventive care is covered 100%, low-cost generic medications, premium-free dental insurance for full-time employee coverage, tobacco cessation program and MUCH MORE!
Benefits Include: Health, Dental and Vision Insurance; Retirement Savings; Flexible Spending Accounts; Gym Membership Reimbursement; and Living Resources (Employee Assistance Program).
Public Sector employees may qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. To learn if you qualify, please visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service#qualify.
The State of Maine also offers paid holidays, training, and the chance to make a difference in Maine with a career in public service.